Ingredients in Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
and their nutritional benefits
Customize this Recipe
Make it vegan
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
Old fashioned oats - Great source of fiber, containing 5g per half cup serving; has been associated with reduction in cholesterol and the risk of heart disease; contains B vitamins
Greek yogurt - good source of protein, contains nutrients like calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus which is important for bone health, can contain beneficial bacteria (probiotics) which helps support gut health
Nut milk - Good choice for vegans or dairy sensitive/lactose intolerant individuals; contains unsaturated fats vs saturated fat found in cow’s milk
Cinnamon - Contains antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation; some studies suggest helps with improving insulin sensitivity and blood sugar levels
Caramelized apples - good source of fiber (anywhere from 3-4g of fiber/apple); contains prebiotic fiber which helps with gut health; antioxidant
Make it gluten free
Substitute Greek yogurt for a vegan alternative- coconut or almond yogurt
Caramelize the apples with a vegan alternative for butter- olive oil, coconut oil or Earth Balance
If you need gluten free oats, be sure to look for Certified Gluten Free oats
1. Prep your apple by peeling it and slicing it into small pieces.
2. Caramelize your apple pieces- Melt 1tbsp of butter or butter substitute over medium-high heat. Once the butter has almost melted, add 1 tbsp brown sugar, followed by the apple pieces. Cook and toss the apples a few times until they are nicely caramelized on all sides.
3. Add a pinch of cinnamon and let cool.
4. Combine old-fashioned oats, greek yogurt, nut milk, and cinnamon into a container and stir thoroughly.
5. Add your caramelized apples on top of the oats.
6. Seal the container and store in the refrigerator overnight.
7. Add an extra splash of milk if needed prior to serving. Serve hot or cold and enjoy!
This make ahead breakfast is not only the easiest way to start your fall mornings, but will also keep you full for hours because it is full of protein, healthy fat and fiber. Our Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats are by far one of our favorite flavor combinations. As always, these nutrient-packed breakfasts can be prepped in advance making them convenient and easy to have on hand to start your busy day off on the right foot.
Make it Nut free
Substitute almond milk with fat-free milk, soy milk, or coconut milk
Store your overnight oats in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
What Kind of Oats Should I Use?
For overnight oats, you want to use old-fashioned rolled oats. This is because they will slowly absorb the moisture overnight, giving you a deliciously creamy texture. You want to avoid instant, quick-cooking, or steel cut oats because they will not absorb the liquids in the same way, leaving you with soggy, lumpy texture.
Tell us what you think of Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
We know you and your family will love this quick and easy recipe. If you try it and love it, let us know in the comments below. Be sure to check out more of our healthy and delicious breakfast recipes!